Healthy Quinoa, Lentil and Feta Salad
Quinoa is one of the world’s most popular health foods. Quinoa is gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids.
In order to lose weight, we need to take in fewer calories than we burn. It is known that certain properties of foods can facilitate this process, either by boosting metabolism (increasing calories out) or reducing appetite (lowering calories in). Interestingly, quinoa has several such properties.
It is high in protein, which can both increase metabolism and reduce appetite significantly. The high amount of fiber should also help to increase feelings of fullness, making you eat fewer calories overall.
Lentils help to reduce blood cholesterol since it contains high levels of soluble fiber. Lowering your cholesterol levels reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke by keeping your arteries clean.
- Quinoa (200G)
- Olive oil (1) teaspoon
- Onion 1/2, Finely chopped
- Tarragon, 1/2 tablespoon,
- Roughly chopped green lentils, 1 x400g can, rinsed and drained
- Cucumber 1/4 lightly peeled/diced
- Feta (100g) crumbled
- Spring onions, 6 thinly sliced
- Orange (1) zest and juice
- Red or White wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon
Cooking Your Healthy Quinoa Salad instructions:
- Cook the quinoa in a large pan, Boil for 10-15 mins until tender, drain well and set side to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the some olive oil in a small pan, the cook the shallot or onion for a few minutes until softened.
- Add tarragon, stir well and then remove from the heat.
- Stir shallot and tarragon into the cooled quinoa along with the lentils, cucumber.
- Toss well together and allow chill until ready to serve.